USER LOCAL SETTINGS
Use Current Settings on Next Visit
including: color scheme, display & audio settings, and ship name info
Auto Mode (ScreenSaver Mode)
when enabled: if prolonged idling (~30 sec) has been detected, UI Automation scripts will be triggered periodically
> During UI Automation, include changes on:
S.47 YT Video
Audio On Upon Starting When Possible
* the S.47 YouTube Video Display has its own independent volume control
Sound Effects Volume Level
> some presets U.S.S. CERRITOS U.S.S. MERCED U.S.S. OAKLAND U.S.S. CARLSBAD U.S.S. INGLEWOOD BMBF II SB YAMATO
Recreating Interactive Technobabble Operating System
Project Logs ▼
- A new Sickbay section has been added. While in Sickbay, you may hit the "Sickbay • Biobed" title text to load up info from a different Biobed.
- New feature: Auto Mode (i.e. ScreenSaver / Kiosk / Demo Mode)
❤ When enabled (by default), a UI Automation script will kick in after a prolonged idling (~30 sec) has been detected -- to simulate user interaction with the app
- Happy 2023✨ The Cosmic Koala can be spotted from the "Tarantula Nebula" in the "JWST Images" section😉
- Two new James Webb Space Telescope images added
- If you'd like to put Project RITOS on your Raspberry Pi, check out James's PiRITOS on GitHub
- HINT: the Koala is observing us in the "cosmic" section
- Sound Effects added! Hit the "Audio" button or "M" on keyboard to toggle it.
- User Local Settings added. Optionally, settings can be retained for future visits.
- S.47 YouTube Video Display added. Hit the "S.47" button on the main page...
- MISC: A few more color schemes added. Hit the numerical clock to change its display type. Hit the warp core hatch...
- r.Ducky misbehaves on older versions of iOS (14 & earlier) 😕
- HINT: the Cosmic Koala does exist, though not on the ship
Current Build: [Initial Open Build: 2022.OCT.25] Whew... finally made this project stable enough before Star Trek: Lower Decks season 3 finale's release. What a wonderful season it has been🧡
USS Cerritos definitely has grown on me for the past three seasons. In recent episodes, 'Room for Growth' (s3e04) & 'Reflections' (s3e05), at last we got a good glimpse of the ship's new schematics (MSD) in better resolution. And that gave me a push in making this crazy fan project (or crazy-fan project?)
Initially the plan was simply about recreating a static vector art of the ship's MSD – master system display. Though one thing led to another, it has involved into what you see right now. Thanks to Mike Okuda's timeless creation of the great fictional LCARS UI. It's always attractive & flexible. Therefore, all LCARS projects are lucky to benefit from that inherent design beauty.
This particular LCARS website is more Lower Decks centric. And big thanks to all those fun source materials from Mike McMahan's Team Lower Decks, I had a blast researching & coding Project RITOS😄 Hopefully I've made this technobabble UI intuitive enough for everyone. Enjoy ~
Some R a n d o m Thoughts...
- The "Ring Clock" on the homepage is an actual functional clock. Hours-Minutes-Seconds could be read from inside out. The thickest ring represents the hour. The next outer ring is the minute. And the most outer thin ring shows the second.
- There is a Fullscreen mode button -- try hitting on the semi-rounded element near the top-right corner. Or via keyboard: [CTRL or ⌘] + SHIFT + F
- Audio On-Off can be toggled via keyboard as well. Simply hit the M key. Make sure that your device pointer has the page in focus. Otherwise, keyboard events won't get recognized.
- "What can I do on this site?" -- just point & click & watch. There are really no goals nor wrong things to do here. It's a mindless site 🤪
- This site is intended to be viewed on desktop screens. Apologies, not much testing was done on mobile devices.
- Several color schemes are named after the ships appeared on Lower Decks.
For example, USS Merced was shown with a green-themed LCARS in episode "Moist Vessel" (s01e04)
...If Merced got boarded by the Borg, it could become rather confusing. All that mixed green interfaces 🤔
Lots of time spent on making the 'blueprint' color scheme -- comments? What's your favorite color scheme?
- "Why is my frame rate slow, stuttering animations?" -- well, several possible factors:
* Under powered CPU/GPU;
* Viewing in high 4k-resolution (too many pixel dots for calculations) -- try lowering it to 1080p;
* Poor browser rendering performance - Safari & Firefox are a bit slower in handling renderings. Chrome seems to bench the best. Oh, a few effects aren't supported by Safari;
* Some of my code aren't fully optimized for performance yet 😬
- The Red Alert animated symbol is a SVG vector art with a few CSS animation properties. I've made it available here separately. Feel free to use it.
- BUFFER TIME: I can't give out more spoilers here. Go watch Lower Decks season 1 episode 3
- If you're using a browser extension that flips a website's colors into dark mode, some elements might become invisible - resulting a strange looking site. Solution: Try turning off the extension or marking this site as an exception in the extension's settings.
- Safari browser could complain about energy usage of this site. This is due to several animations with randomized effects constantly running in loops. Yep, it's definitely not a very green site, but hopefully it brings you joy.
- Yes, clicking too fast will probably break some elements. It's okay... Just reload the page.
- There's a rubber ducky on the ship...! Hit it & it moves!
Did you know that the LCARS creator Mike Okuda put a rubber ducky on the USS Enterprise-D's schematics way back on ST:TNG? If you've got a copy of the Star Trek: Technical Manual, the ducky can be spotted in there as well.
- Yep, I'm pretty sure that I placed the Torpedo Launcher in the wrong spot. Well, it fits nicely there, artistically speaking😆 And yep, deck numbers & locations of several ops rooms are guesstimated -- NOT CANON!... and don't kill me with a phaser
- Re: LCARS font/typeface -- "Oswald" font is used for this site. It's an open-source font from Google. IMHO, it's similar to the one used in LCARS on several Star Trek shows (Helvetica variant, generally). And Oswald's legibility seems to be better than the compressed Helvetica's.
- Project RITOS can be placed on a Raspberry Pi, then link to LED lights for Red Alert effect! Check out James's PiRITOS on GitHub for instructions
- Auto Mode / ScreenSaver Mode: Enabled by default.
When this is enabled, the initial Auto Mode status would be in "Standing By," and the app will monitor the user's idle.
When a prolonged idling has been detected (~30 sec), the Auto Mode will change to an "Active" status, and a UI automation script will kick in periodically to simulate user interactions with the app. Thus, making the app seem more lively & random.
This automation script will get canceled when the user starts to interact with the app again, and the Auto Mode will go back to its "Standing By" status. Also the "Style Config" will be restored to its prior state before the automation script started.
Additional Automation options can be fine-tuned in User Local Settings.
** Auto Mode feature was introduced on Jan. 3, 2023
- For ultrawide monitor or monitor positioned vertically in portrait mode, you could use this special double page to display two independent copies of Project RITOS -- stacked horizontally on a wide monitor or vertically on a tall one.
* On Windows, hit F11 to make the page go fullscreen.
- Oh, there's a Koala somewhere. Good luck finding it😉
Clues can be found in the "Project Logs."
If you'd like to support the projects I make, check out my Ko-Fi page
on the content creator platform, and buy me a cup of Raktajino☕ or two. Thanks ❤
Or visit my newly created Patreon
page. Twitter YouTube Channel my Ko-Fi page
☕ my Patreon page Starfield 47
- another mindless project, web based (#lightSpeed, #3D, #nebula, #LCARS) System 47
- LCARS Animation - Viewer (Mac & Win) & Screensaver (Win)
email: [email protected]
Figma used in vector art creation
James Webb Space Telescope Images Credits: NASA • STSCI / #GoWebb
Thanks to Memory Alpha
for sharing their rich Trek archives with the world💛 Not endorsed, sponsored or affiliated with CBS Studios Inc. or the Star Trek franchise. All STAR TREK trademarks & logos are owned by CBS Studios Inc.